Skip to navigation


Post-Divorce Modifications

The Terms Of Divorce Can Change With Changed Circumstances

A divorce decree, while it seems final and is often difficult to change, is not set in stone, and for good reason. Individual human beings and families in general change over time. There may be compelling reasons to petition a family law court for a post-divorce modification if, for example, you or your ex-spouse:

  • Have been laid off or encountered a medical crisis, resulting in a significant loss of income

  • Have been promoted or otherwise had a significant increase in income

  • Suffered the loss of a home in a fire or flood, resulting in extraordinary financial pressures

  • Had hidden assets that did not come to light until after divorce proceedings

  • Anticipates or has experienced a change in location due to military service or a career change after completing an advanced degree at Colorado State University in Fort Collins, the University of Northern Colorado in Greeley or the University of Colorado at Boulder

  • Must move in order to care for ailing elderly parents in another state

At The Law Office of Thomas W. Martin, LLC, in Fort Collins, attorney Lisa Grimes can answer these questions for you and help you determine how to best achieve the modification you seek.

What Elements Of A Decree Can Change?

Based on changed circumstances which may include any of the above examples, family law judges may consider ordering a post-divorce modification of:

  • Spousal support

  • Child custody

  • Child support

  • Property division (in very rare cases only)

Find The Financial Flexibility You Need

You may be able to make changes to your marital dissolution agreement based on altered circumstances. To discuss your situation with an experienced lawyer, call The Law Office of Thomas W. Martin, LLC, to schedule a free initial consultation. You may also use our email form to connect with us.

Spanish interpretation services are available if requested in advance. Our office is not regularly staffed with bilingual associates, but arrangements can be made. (Servicios de interpretación español están disponibles si se solicita con antelación. En nuestra oficina no es regular que cuentan con personal bilingüe, pero los arreglos se pueden hacer.)